Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:03:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: x86-64 Hammer and IA64 Itainium

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Mike Silbersack writes:
>  >
>  > Once that's done, it'll probably be a matter to send a clawhammer
>  > system and a large box of cheese and crackers to the guys who did the
>  > freebsd alpha port.  If the architecture is actually so similar to x86,
>  > it should only take them a few weekends. :)
>
> As one of the FreeBSD/alpha porters, I must point out that I don't
> know diddly-squat about low-level x86isms.  I've never even written a
> line of x86 assembly.

Hm, no cheese or crackers for you then.  The reason I figured alpha
experience would help is because I suspect that the important part of the
porting would be the 32 -> 64 bit conversion; everything else _should_ be
similar enough that it would be straightforward to convert for someone
familiar with the lowlevel innards.  (If the end product works how they
have personified it, at least.)  I guess getting dual 64/32 bit mode
could be tricky, though.

> What's the timeframe that they're shooting for with this beast, anyway?
>
> Drew

The first x86-64 chips (the clawhammer series) are supposed to ship in the
first half of 2002.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack