Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:43:59 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> In message <20000711092233.F26861@dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien"
> writes:
> > On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 03:51:58PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > > 3) Many folks who need LPRng will have to install it from the ports to
> > >    get all of its functionality.
> >
> > Then how about we rip LPR from the base system and let people install the
> > printing system they need from ports?
>
> This would be a huge step in the right direction.  We should do the
> same with Sendmail, BIND, nvi, and every other component of the O/S.
> In short everything should be installed (or for those of us who
> installworld, registered) as packages, like Solaris or MVS (IBM
> mainframe O/S) do.  Let the user decide what to install or not install.

And unless there existed convinient to use collections of those (let's
call that bin dist), lot's of people would really hate that. I consider
the present system of being able to get a pretty unified standard base
system a big plus. That also means being able to depend on the presence of
such when writing programs/scripts and not wrorrying too much about that
there might be a system on which somebody forgot to install df, dd or
something else trivial.

> Regards,                       Phone:  (250)387-8437
> Cy Schubert                      Fax:  (250)387-5766
> Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
> Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
> Province of BC

	Sander