Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 01:54:05 -0500
From:      Todd Doucet <todd@lugaru.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   documentation problem, imho

I don't know if you are the folks who maintain or take
comments for the /stand/sysinstall utility, but I am
assuming you are, or can forward this if necessary.

I am trying to get FreeBSD up and running for the
first time.  I consider myself quite experienced
at this kind of thing, but I am having a problem
that I think is basically documentation related,
and I think likely to be shared by many others.

When I originally installed FreeBSD, I selected
the "developer" package, not the "x developer",
or "kernel developer" package.  I did this
from within /stand/sysinstall as part
of the first run.

Since then I've done work on the system,
downloaded and installed many ports, etc.

Now I discover that I wish I had selected
"X Developer" originally when asked.  I have
been unable to figure out how to accomplish
this, despite hours of trying.

I've tried these things, among others:

!.  Started /stand/sysinstall and basically
    started over, selecting "Novice".  This
    really wants to repartition my hard
    drive.  I don't want to start ALL OVER,
    I just want to do the equivalent of
    the "X Developer" selection.

2.  From within /stand/sysinstall, I selected
    the "X Developer" item.  When I'm all
    finished with this item, nothing happens.
    I'm just returned to the Index.  I am at
    a loss to figure out what I'm supposed to do.

I suspect there is a "package" or a "port" that
corresponds to the "X Developer" selection during
installation, but I have been unable to determine
what that is.

Or perhaps there isn't such a package or port.  But
then I still don't know what I'm supposed to do.  As
it stands now, the installed system does not have
basic header files for the X window system.

I've read the documentation on the cdrom.  I've
read your handbook at freebsd.org.  I've read
the (overly-chatty) book that came with my
FreeBSD books called "The Complete FreeBSD."

I really don't know what to do.  Maybe I'm
a big dummy, but I've been doing things like
this for a long, long time.  I think the problem
is with the documentation.  That why I'm
bothering you with my problem.

Todd Doucet