Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 23:36:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        des@ofug.org, tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        dot@dotat.at, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, ragnar@sysabend.org, res03db2@gte.net
Subject:   Re: Ideas about network interfaces.

Its funny to me that the idea I wanted to ask about, that I
would've thought would be the least interesting to people,
would be the one most talked about.

My thought, is that we don't name our disk devices based
on the brand of the scsi controller. Why do we specify
an interface to talk to, based on a brand name.

Is there any way to have more than one instance of the
network stack running on one system?

If we could run more than one instance of the network
stack, we could give each a set of (ethernet) ports
to work with.

Would it make sens to give one port to a firewall package,
and several ports to some other use.

Or ultimately, one instance of the OS could have
interfaces 1 2 and 3, and another instance of the OS could
have interfaces 4 5 and 6. Without traffic leakinf from
one instance of the OS to the other.

Thanks, [RC]