Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:12:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        Chad Dubuque <freebsdstable@rrnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd and syslog.conf

> > > there are potentially non-system routines that will break with this "fix".
> >
> > this is the point that worries me.  a change is being proposed in a data
> > file, and it is being assumed that syslogd(8) is the only program which
> > reads that file.  as syslog.conf(5) has been documented publicly, i would be
> > more cautious about changing the definition, for mere cosmetic not emergency
> > reasons, without widely published warning well in advance.
>
> Y'know, I'm all for documenting a change, but I think your worries are a
> little unnecessary. For one, the only change being proposed is that spaces
> will be allowed instead of just tabs. That's it. Heck, I think it makes a
> lot of sense. BSDI's syslogd understands tabs&/or spaces as whitespace, why
> shouldn't FreeBSD's? It's not going to add a lot of code, and IT WILL NOT
> BREAK ANYTHING.

Isn't 3.0 a brand-new release with lots of other changes that may
potentially "break" things for people?  Why not make the change in
-current, in time for the 3.0 release?  I'm sure it'll get lost in the
noise caused by /usr/bin/perl being perl5 instead of perl4.  And if not
now, then when?  Sooner or later you have to take the plunge, there will
never be a point when you can guarantee that a change you make won't break
something, somewhere.  Besides, only syslogd should be reading
syslog.conf.

- Mike