Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:23:59 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Mikael Claesson" <miclaes@hotmail.com>, <FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Switching from Linux

As far as I can tell, virtually every application of significance works in
FreeBSD, with considerably improved reliability. The documentation is
infinitely more intelligible than linux equivalents although its still
dreadful compared with the Sun & the SCO offerings.
I guess the main attraction however is the reliability. Its often claimed
that FreeBSD is the most stable server platform of the lot ...  the fact
that a number of the busiest sites on the net run FreeBSD certainly seems to
confirm this. We used to have a bunch of RedHat & Debian servers but the
downtime was definitely reduced by changing to FreeBSD. Personally I can't
imagine using FreeBSD for workstations though ... the GUI offerings are
virtually the same as linux .... extremely poxy ... and getting halfway
usable color printing from "common or garden variety" bubblej!!et printers
is still akin to witchcraft.