Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:30:45 +0200
From:      Walter Hop <freebsd@spam.lifeforms.nl>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HTTPS on freebsd.org, git, reproducible builds

>=20
>> Is there some reason "freebsd.org" and all it's
>> subdomains don't immediately 302 over to
>> https foreverafter?
>=20
> Is there a reason to encrypt something that is completely public? =
Perhaps to allow the visitor to conceal the fact that they are =
interested in FreeBSD? That won't work, since the IP address of the =
server can't be encrypted. I feel like I am missing something.

Privacy is often important, but authentication (i.e. not having content =
tampered with) may be more important in many cases.

The US and UK governments are owning sysadmins who browse non-HTTPS =
sites:
=
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/ghcq-targets-engineers-with-fake=
-linkedin-pages-a-932821.html =
<http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/ghcq-targets-engineers-with-fak=
e-linkedin-pages-a-932821.html>
=
https://theintercept.com/2014/03/20/inside-nsa-secret-efforts-hunt-hack-sy=
stem-administrators/ =
<https://theintercept.com/2014/03/20/inside-nsa-secret-efforts-hunt-hack-s=
ystem-administrators/>

The Chinese government hijacked non-HTTPS sessions to inject DDoS =
javascript:
=
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/04/china-uses-unencrypted-websites-to-h=
ijack-browsers-in-github-attack =
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/04/china-uses-unencrypted-websites-to-=
hijack-browsers-in-github-attack>

If often-used sites migrate to HTTPS (together with HSTS) these attacks =
will become a lot harder.

I=E2=80=99m also seeing more demand for HTTPS from customers. In Europe =
there has been a lot of mainstream coverage of tech privacy issues, and =
various non-technical people now distrust sites that don=E2=80=99t have =
=E2=80=9Ca lock=E2=80=9D. So it also has credibility/PR benefits to use =
it by default.

There is always effort involved in making the switch, but for most sites =
and applications this is probably not an unreasonable amount given the =
benefits.

--=20
Walter Hop | PGP key: https://lifeforms.nl/pgp