Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:49:18 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Brian Szymanski <brian.szymanski@cornell.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi adapter to buy?

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 00:26:01 -0400, Brian Szymanski wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I was planning on purchasing a Seagate Cheetah X15 36LP, and, being new to
> SCSI, was wondering what sort of adapter I should get for it (its replacing an
> IDE drive). How much should I spend/what brands are good to buy/what's
> supported?
>
> If anyone can point me in the direction of a good place to read about SCSI
> adapters (and their support under fbsd), or can give specific
> recommendations/reasoning, it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, supported hardware is generally listed in the release notes for each
release.  Sometimes it can be a little out of date, though.

(note -- I work for Adaptec, so I may be a bit biased)
That said, I would recommend an Adaptec U160 controller, for a couple of
reasons.  The first is driver support -- Justin Gibbs writes both the
FreeBSD and Linux drivers, and they generally work very well.  The second
is hardware availability.  The Symbios/LSI driver is very good, as is the
QLogic driver, but those boards are difficult (LSI) and almost impossible
(QLogic) to find out in the "channel" market.

Anyway, as far as cost, you're looking at $155 for the 19160 white box
version (i.e. no cables, probably no drivers or anything else included) to
$348 for the 39160 kit.  (kit means that it comes with cables, drivers for
Windows, etc.)  (Prices are from www.microx-press.com, you might find
cheaper prices elsewhere.)

For a list of Adaptec SCSI controllers, see:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/prodtechindex.html?cat=%2fTechnology%2fSCSI&source=home

You want an Ultra160 board, so the main issue is what sort of connectors
you want on the board.  With more connectors and more busses, you'll pay
more, but get more flexibility.

So once you figure out what you might use your controller for (i.e. just
disks, or CD burners, scanners, tape drives, etc.) you can decide what sort
of connector/bus arrangement you want.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry