Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 14:13:24 +0100
From:      "Simon Clayton" <Simon@reftech.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ATA66 IDE hard disk problems

I have seen quite a few questions relating to this topic but never any
answers so I will try myself.

One of the machines I have running FreeBSD is my desktop machine running
an Athlon 600 with FIC SD-11 motherboard.

I have now tried two different IDE hard disks, I have tried disabling
the 32bit transfers and setting the mode down to 0 but with no effect.
The problem is that the system reports lots of errors like

	/kernel: ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 3062797 retrying

or
	/kernel: ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk#2400383ata0-master: WARNING:
WAIT_READY active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA

Then eventually

	/kernel: falling back to PIO mode

This happens from the time of startup until the system falls back to PIO
mode.  Unfortunately, lately the machine has started locking solid when
running X and needs a hard reboot to sort it out - I suspect that if
there have been lots of these write errors over time it will screw the
file system (technical term!).  I have only had to do an fsck manually a
few times but don't really want to re-build everything until I know how
to sort the disk problem.

Is there anyway to force the machine to start up in PIO mode? does
anyone know if this might cure the problem?

Thanks in advance

Simon