Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:39:06 -0400
From:      Daniel Fisher <dfisher@vt.edu>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to setup wireless card

On Wednesday 19 September 2001 16:02, you wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:48:18 -0400
> > From: Daniel Fisher <dfisher@vt.edu>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > The card appears to be working fine.
> > I can ping it's IP address externally, but only when fxp0 (ethernet port)
> > is UP. I just can't seem to send data from the host.
> > ifconfig says:
> > wi0 is UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST
> > fxp0 is UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST
> >
> > My guess is I need to configure FreeBSD to use both network devices.
>
> The issue is one of routing and the answer is dependent on just what
> you want to do and how. Right now I suspect you have a default
> pointing to the fxp card, so most traffic will go that way.
>
> Try 'netstat -rnf inet' and see what routing you have. You will likely
> see a default pointing at the router on the Ethernet while there will
> be a single route for the wireless subnet (along with loopback and LAN
> local addresses for the Ethernet).
>
> Do you want to use the wireless or the Ethernet for external
> connectivity? If you want to use the wireless, you need to change the
> default to point to that interface. If you want to act as a router,
> you will need to configure that, which might means using some routing
> protocol, but likely means setting up static routes using the route
> command.
>
> Looks like your 802.11b card is up and running. Now you just have to
> tell the system how to use it. Good luck!
>
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Thanks...that appears to be the problem.
It feels good to have a wireless FreeBSD laptop.
I was trying to have the option to use either device once the machine was booted.
Does anyone know how to change the default route without rebooting?
I tried:

route delete default -interface fxp0
route add default -interface wi0
route flush

This appears to set the correct route in netstat -r
But it doesn't work.

Thanks again for all the help.

--
Daniel Fisher