Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 10:07:10 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, Gregorio Faraldo <admin@itacom.com.py>
Cc:        lista usa <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: e-mail error

On Saturday, 31 October 1998 at 20:25:35 +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> On 31-Oct-98 Gregorio Faraldo wrote:
>> When i try to sent an e-mail to somebody@hotmail.com this message return with
>> a error that say service unavailable !!!!!!!!!
>> I try also to do a telnet to mail.hotmail.com 25 and i get a message that say
>> conecction refuse
>> The same thing with bigfoot.com
>> What i can do?
>> please help me
>
> Bigfoot and hotmail obviously disallow telnet access by means of a
> firewall...

That would be rather defeating the purpose if they blocked port 25
(SMTP).  If they accept mail, they accept telnet on smtp, because it's
the same thing.  Anyway, before stating this, you could try it:

$ telnet mail.hotmail.com  25
Trying 209.1.112.253...
Connected to mail.hotmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 m17.hotmail.com Server SMTP ready at Sat, 31 Oct 1998 15:34:37 -0000
ehlo ehlo
550 Unknown command 'ehlo'

(it is a primitive non-ESMTP mailer)

helo wxs.nl
250 m36.hotmail.com Hello wxs.nl

(and it believes anything you say)

quit
221 m17.hotmail.com Out

Well, it's definitely not sendmail quality, but it appears to work.
Since Gregorio didn't tell us anything about his setup, there's not
much else I can do.

Greg