Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 09:52:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@crism.ne.mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Thu,  9 April 1998 at 22:50:11 -0400, Christopher R. Maden wrote:

> I was going to send this just to Greg, but my suggestions at the end
> are possibly useful to the group at large.
>
> [Greg Lehey]
>> Tim knows about Jordan, despite his message.  We've repeatedly tried
>> to get them interested in BSD, but there's something at ORA that
>> resists.  I suspect it's not Tim (who lives in California), but
>> somebody on the East Coast.
>
> Is this one of those weird west coast/east coast UNIX things?  You'd
> think we were rappers; I've never understood it.

Don't look at me, I'm on the South Coast.

> Tim has allegedly resisted proposals for FreeBSD books; the only two
> FreeBSD users I *know* of at O'Reilly are on the east coast.

Names?  I know Andy Oram is favourable towards it, but Frank Willison
(Editor in chief) obviously is not.  I asked Andy about this matter,
and he said that he hadn't been involved, and that it wouldn't make
any sense to comment.

> Most of the directional decisions happen on the west coast; the
> Cambridge office is almost exclusively production staff, though there
> are some marketing people and editors.

Interesting.  That's not the impression I have had.  Sure, Tim makes
his decisions in Sebastopol, but I thought most of the other stuff
happened in Cambridge.  Of course, things could have changed.  They
have expanded a lot in Sebastopol since the first time I was there.

>> I've just about given up with ORA.  They seem to be relinquishing
>> their position as the favourite UNIX publisher and chasing the NT
>> crowd.  I'm surprised they even had this "summit".
>
> I disagree with that.  My current project is the _UNIX Power Library_,
> a CD of the six most popular UNIX books (Power Tools, vi, ksh, sed &
> awk, UNIX Nut, and Learning UNIX) along with the Power Tools
> software.

Interesting.  But that's nothing new except for the packaging.

> I'd say the current focus is more on Web stuff like Perl, Java, HTML,
> JavaScript, and XML.  The focus of the Windows stuff is one I don't
> mind, and my home is Microsoft-free.  I like the thurst of the
> "Annoyances" series.

If ORA had kept its commitment to UNIX, I wouldn't have worried so
much about the Microsoft books.

I'm currently (too slowly) writing a book about debugging for ORA.
One of the things that Andy asked me was to include NT.  I can
understand the request, but I don't know enough about NT to be able to
write anything useful.

> The main problem is that Tim doesn't see that there's a market for
> FreeBSD books, and he *is* in business to make money.

That's a reasonable statement.

> Even better, if there's a specific book you think needs writing,
> *write it*.

I did :-(

Greg