Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:33:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mistwolf@mushhaven.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   misc/12720: gdbm (And possibly other libraries in /usr/local/lib) not usable under 3.*

>Number:         12720
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       gdbm (And possibly other libraries in /usr/local/lib) not usable under 3.*
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD diarmadhi.mushhaven.net 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jul  9 09:10:44 PDT 1999     root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/DIARMADHI  i386

After either installing by the port or by hand the GDBM ports, nothing
is able to use them using -lgdmb, nor does setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
include /usr/local/lib allow it. The only way I have found to get it
to be seen is to use -L/usr/local/lib when compiling. This breaks any
GNU configure script looking for things.

First off, after installing, the only libraries that are seen in ldconfig
are ones with only one version letter. IE, libreadline.so.4 is seen, but
libreadline.so.4.0 is not (Symlinks /seem/ to work, but most packages do
not make that link).

However, even with the symlink, which gets these libraries to show in
ldconfig, -l<library> does /not/ work, nor can configure scripts see them.

2.2.8 works fine with these libraries; I have not tried on 4.x. I have
set the severity and priority to the top because this appears to be
broken for any library, please adjust as needed. To me they are doubly
critical as the machine I run this on is for hosting MU*s that rely
heavily on GDBM. I've wrestled with this for months, and unless I can
get it fixed, will have to either downgrade to 2.2.8 or else move
to a Linux or Solaris platform, which I do not want to do.

>How-To-Repeat:
Install gdbm, then try linking against it. Try also any configure script
from a package that looks for gdbm.
For example:

http://www.mushhaven.net/~mistwolf/tinymush-unoff1.tgz