Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 15:13:06 +0100
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        Kondie <kondwani@malawi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD server

How about a 500MHz or so processor with 256 or 512 Megs of RAM... much=20
more logical than a 1000MHz/128MB combination which is rediculously out=20
of balance IMHO.=20

Also, I'd consider having two disks so you can backup semi-continuously=20
if you like or mirror the data (=3Draid1, my thought would be you'd like=20
to mirror /var on a unix emailserver). People don't like losing their=20
email should your disk crash. Even SCSI disk aren't that expensive=20
anymore. Personally, I have a strong preference for Seagate disks.=20
Anyway, remember what you're going to do is all about I/O, not=20
processor power. If you ask me, 50000 emails a day could even be=20
handled on a relatively old Pentium desktop box. Don't be cheap on your=20
network controller(s). Get 3Com or something.

I can't comment on Compaq because I don't use them (oops that implies=20
something already ;-) No seriously, I know that their consumer products=20
are crap but their servers are likely to be a very different story. I=20
know they have a good reputation and that some of their public test=20
server boxes run fBSD. I've only worked with a Compaq server once and=20
had to install Linux on it at work... had some hardware problems then=20
notably with the keyboard(!)

Don't be surprised. Bulky motherboards with all sorts of integrated=20
on-board stuff can be like that. I'm currently setting up a server box=20
based on an AOpen DX34plus board. fBSD floppy/cd would not boot at=20
first, I had to turn off the USB controller in its BIOS, default jumper=20
settings for processor type turned out to be wrongly documented, ...=20
stuff like that just happens I reckon. In your case, why not build your=20
own box starting with a nice AOpen oer Asus mother board?

If you're new to fBSD, do yourself a favor and first try it on a spare=20
pc or something! Follow the handbook. Then crunch through sendmail.org=20
for your mail setup ... or if you use another MTA look into that one,=20
before putting it up as production machine. And please have it do more=20
than just email, the poor box will become bored and lazy otherwise :-)

Best of luck, HTH

--=20

Danny Pansters
http://www.ricin.com