Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:19:21 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Customizing /etc/motd

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 05:31:08AM -0800, Saint Aardvark the Carpeted wrote:
> Colin J. Raven disturbed my sleep to write:
> > Greetings all!
> > I'd like to tweak /etc/motd to give ssh users a personalized login text.
>
> Printing the last time the user logged in appears to be part of login(1)
> itself, not /etc/motd.  I suppose you could always modify the source
> code to print the message you like, but an easier way would be to append
> something to /etc/profile:
>
> echo 'Welcome to FreeBSD, $USER!'
>
> $USER is the user's account name.  And it looks like you need the single
> quotes there to get the exclamation point to work.

You could go one step further in user friendliness (sic) .. put the
person's nickname in the GECOS field of the password file, find
out the time of day and when your boss logins at 8:30 a.m. it could say

"Good Morning lame-brain loser. What's the matter ? Couldn't sleep last night ?"
"Or were you too busy moon-howling ?"

:)

--
Regards