Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:03:03 -0600
From:      "Brandon Young" <bkyoung@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   DCHP in FBSD 3.4

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BF6A59.2D4392A0

Oh, great gurus...please shed some light on my situation. =20

BACKGROUND:  I am new to *nix.  I started out on RedHat linux 9 months =
ago.  That's the only *nix experience I have, but I have decided to make =
*nix my primary OS.  I have messed around with other Linux distros, and =
OpenBSD.  I really liked OpenBSD more than linux, but was not satisfied =
with the package availability...Enter FreeBSD 3.4.

PROBLEM:  I installed FreeBSD on my dual booter box (w/ Win98 - for the =
wife) at home.  I have a cable modem.  Cable modem uses DHCP & works =
fine in Win98.  In FreeBSD, though, I cannot reach anything outside my =
cable company (i.e. I can ping the gateway, the Name server, DHCP =
server, etc. - but not , say, www.yahoo.com ).  Now, I am not a heavy in =
the network configuration department, and I have no clue how to actually =
configure the network interface in FBSD.  I've been running =
/stand/sysinstall & choosing the Configure option, and selecting =
Network, etc...and saying 'yes' at the 'try configuring w/ DHCP?' =
question.  A couple of things I've noticed:  I can look at all the stats =
in windows (ip address, name server, gateway, etc.) and compare that to =
the FBSD stats - and they're different (whereas in linux they were the =
same)...but when I boot into Win98 they're the same again.  I vaguely =
understand that the cable company "leases" me a dhcp ip address (and in =
fact know that it renews the lease every 4 hours), but I have observed =
that my computer maintains the same ip address for 1 week.  When I had =
linux on the machine, all the stats were the same in both OS's for that =
duration.  Is there something different about the way FBSD determines =
that info?  The problem, as described [not being able to reach the =
internet], makes me think there's a problem with the gateway at my =
isp...but that probably isn't the case since everything works in =
Windows.  Even if I manually input the Win98 stats into FBSD, the same =
problem exists.

QUESTIONS:  what's the right way to configure a network card in FBSD =
(DHCP)?  I noticed there's no way to specify a DHCP server address with =
the method of configuration I've been using in FBSD...is that something =
I should do?  Should I even worry about it?  Does it already have the =
ability to determine this info?  Is there a config file I can manually =
edit?

Brandon Young
bkyoung@sunflower.com

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BF6A59.2D4392A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Oh, great gurus...please shed some light on my=20
situation.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>BACKGROUND:&nbsp; I am new to *nix.&nbsp; I started =
out on=20
RedHat linux 9 months ago.&nbsp; That's the only *nix experience I have, =
but I=20
have decided to make *nix my primary OS.&nbsp; I have messed around with =
other=20
Linux distros, and OpenBSD.&nbsp; I really liked OpenBSD more than =
linux, but=20
was not satisfied with the package availability...Enter FreeBSD=20
3.4.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PROBLEM:&nbsp; I installed FreeBSD on my dual booter =
box (w/=20
Win98 - for the wife) at home.&nbsp; I have a cable modem.&nbsp; Cable =
modem=20
uses DHCP &amp; works fine in Win98.&nbsp; In FreeBSD, though, I cannot =
reach=20
anything outside my cable company (i.e. I can ping the gateway, the Name =
server,=20
DHCP server, etc. - but not , say, <A=20
href=3D"http://www.yahoo.com">www.yahoo.com</A>; ).&nbsp; Now, I am not a =
heavy in=20
the network configuration department, and I have no clue how to actually =

configure the network interface in FBSD.&nbsp; I've been running=20
<STRONG>/stand/sysinstall </STRONG>&amp; choosing the Configure option, =
and=20
selecting Network, etc...and saying 'yes' at the 'try configuring w/ =
DHCP?'=20
question.&nbsp; A couple of things I've noticed:&nbsp; I can look at all =
the=20
stats in windows (ip address, name server, gateway, etc.) and compare =
that to=20
the FBSD stats - and they're different (whereas in linux they were the=20
same)...but when I boot into Win98 they're the same again.&nbsp; I =
vaguely=20
understand that the cable company "leases" me a dhcp ip address (and in =
fact=20
know that it renews the lease every 4 hours), but I have observed that =
my=20
computer maintains the same ip address for 1 week.&nbsp; When I had =
linux on the=20
machine, all the stats were the same in both OS's for that =
duration.&nbsp; Is=20
there something different about the way FBSD determines that info?&nbsp; =
The=20
problem, as described [not being able to reach the internet], makes me =
think=20
there's a problem with the gateway at my isp...but that probably isn't =
the case=20
since everything works in Windows.&nbsp; Even if I manually input the =
Win98=20
stats into FBSD, the same problem exists.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>QUESTIONS:&nbsp; what's the right way to configure a =
network=20
card in FBSD (DHCP)?&nbsp; I noticed there's no way to specify a DHCP =
server=20
address with the method of configuration I've been using in FBSD...is =
that=20
something I should do?&nbsp; Should I even worry about it?&nbsp; Does it =
already=20
have the ability to determine this info?&nbsp; Is there a config file I =
can=20
manually edit?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Brandon Young</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:bkyoung@sunflower.com">bkyoung@sunflower.com</A></FONT></D=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BF6A59.2D4392A0--