Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 15:54:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        lists@tar.com
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current is currently really a mess (was: Re: Tk/Tcl broken(?))

> 1) Some outside applications that were integrated into the main
> tree, eg. bind, were way out of date in 2.2. (Granted, shortly after
> I switched to current, bind 4.9.6 was merged into 2.2 -- though
> I think latest "official" 2.2-release is still at an ancient level).
> At various points, I've had similar issues with sendmail.  There is still the
> per4 vs perl5 issue, though that exists in -current too.

On the specific issue of the most recent "bind", I have a problem.

Someone has stated that their new "bind" is complaining about my
use of an alias record as the name of my DNS server.

This is a bogus thing for it to do, since it is imperitive that
you be able to use a DNS rotor for DNS services, if you have
equivalent servers for reasons of fault tolerance.

So I could live without the latest "bind" being in wide use until
that is corrected so that I can once again have my DNS server
have as high an availability as many WWW servers... I happen
to think DNS is a tad more important.  8-|.

In any case, it is a mistake to always grab the most recent
version of everything, and then try and jam it into a box with
"stable" written on the outside.  New versions of things (bind,
in this case) are frequently *not* stable, and should not be
represented as such.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---