Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 11:30:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@fourier.physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, Matt Curtin <cmcurtin@interhack.net>, sporkl@ix.netcom.com, "Steven P. Donegan" <donegan@quick.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Y2K, Y 2038?

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9901021035130.13070-100000@janus.syracuse.net>, Brian Feldman write
> s:
>
> I'm not even worried about Tue Jan 19 04:14:07 CET 2038, because
> I'll be busy getting a good nights sleep before the day before my
> 72nd birthday, and I think anybody who is worried about it at this
> point need a better grip on reality and history.

Look, in 1972, they never thought we'd run out of seconds.  In the past
decade, no one ever thought we'd hit year 2k.  With the exception of the
Mac people.  Deal with it _now_ before the Y2038 Emergency is upon us and
the world is freaking out over it.  Perhaps an introduction of a 64 bit
time, or larger under a different name, and have BSD start working over
towards the new name now and deprecating the old time variable?  I don't
know the best way to do it, but if you shrug it off now, you will be doing
_exactly_ what has been done before by programmers we want to strangle
now.

My $0.02

j.\