Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:04:01 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "InvictaNet Customer Support" <support@invictanet.co.uk>, "Freebsd-ISP" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail 8.11.1 and cyrus sasl

From: "InvictaNet Customer Support" <support@invictanet.co.uk>
> I am slowly getting somewhere with my "AUTH" problem. I have now
discovered
> that it is a method thing.
>
> Using Eudora as the client, the AUTH works fine so it is b....y Microsoft
> that is causing the problem. PLAIN seems to be working ok, it is LOGIN
that
> is not available.
>
> The list of clients by Alexey Melnikov.
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/mel/SASL_ClientRef.html  shows that
> Outlook only supports LOGIN (from my list of availables).
>
> Any suggestions??

Do you have the following in your sendmail.mc file?

TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl

Try telneting to the smtp port of your server, you should get a response as
shown below:

mail# telnet mail 25
Trying 209.224.254.131...
Connected to mail.westbend.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.westbend.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.1/8.11.1; Thu, 30 Nov 2000
20:18:40 -0600 (CST)

Enter "ehlo <servername>"

ehlo mail
250-mail.westbend.net Hello ns1.westbend.net [209.224.254.131], pleased to
meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ONEX
250-ETRN
250-XUSR
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250 HELP

If your not getting LOGIN, then check /usr/local/lib/sasl for liblogin.so.
If this file doesn't exist, did you configure the SASL sources with
"--enable-login".  The security/cyrus-sasl enables LOGIN by default, did you
use the port?

Also, the port installs the sasldb file as cyrus:mail, you need to change it
to cyrus:wheel, otherwise the maillog will show:

    safesasl(/usr/local/etc/sasldb.db) failed: Permission denied

Does anyone know how to get sendmail to run as group mail, instead of group
wheel? I tried adding root to the mail group but that didn't work.

Scot