Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:55:40 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-smp <smp@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-stable <stable@freebsd.org>, Chris <crisc@vmunix.com>
Subject:   Re: Interrupt delivery on SMP 760MPX board 4.5-R/4-S

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

I believe it has something to do with the APIC on this board. I have a
production Dual PIII VIA server running 4.2 to compare to and I noticed a
few things:
1) This Dual Athlon machine is still routing 16 INT's in ICU-fashion
2) The ExtINT pin on the PIII system, in local INTs, is routed via a
   PCI bus, but the Athlon System routs this via the ISA bus. I think
   this is wrong.=20
3) Furthermore, all INTs are routed in ISA-fashion and the Bus in mptable
   is ISA (except NMI). There are no PCI routing pins listed at all (A-D).
4) The 5.0-CURRENT dmesg/mptable dump from the GUINNESS reference board
   also displays this behavior, which makes me think that it perhaps doesn't
   completely work, a bridged PCI card like my DFE-570TX might be worth a t=
ry.

Ideally, from what I can see, PCI devices that are attached via=20
IntA,B,C,D,etc.. and handled by the I/O APIC instead of the 8259's should
be running off irq's > 15. They should also have PCI bus attachments for
INTs listed in mptable. This is probably worth looking into, I grazed over
the MP 1.4 spec, as well as some AMD tech docs. It would appear that for
some reason, the INT is routed, but the OS doesn't set up the APIC properly,
or maybe this is expected to be the job of the BIOS... Either way, it=20
seems as if the Dual Athlon boards (at least ones I've seen) do not fully
work yet.
=20
--
coleman kane

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 04:32:01PM -0500, Kenneth Culver wrote:
> I'm not sure what the problem you're having is, but on my dual PII 333
> sometime between 4.4-RELEASE and 4.5-RELEASE, my dual channel dec21140a
> based card stopped working properly. It was getting detected and I could
> ifconfig both interfaces, but only one interface would actually work.
>=20
> Ken
>=20
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Coleman Kane wrote:
>=20
> > Hello,
> > Perhaps someone here can help me. I recently purchased a Tyan Tiger MPX
> > (S2466N) dual-athlon board, with on-board 3c920 NIC. I have been having
> > difficulty getting multiple Tulip (DC2114x) NICs to work with this boar=
d.
> > First, I had ordered a DLink DFE-570TX quad-channel DC21143 board to run
> > on the server. Using both the dc and de drivers, I have beeing experien=
cing
> > issues where the device doesn't appear to be delivering interrupts prop=
erly.
> > The card does work perfectly fine on my UP EPoX 8K7A+ (AMD-760) motherb=
oard
> > at home. Thinking that it was perhaps a compatibility issue between the=
 board
> > and the bridged card (PCI-PCI DC21152 bridge), I went out and got four
> > Asante FriendlyNET DC21140AF NICs for the system (cards I use at home).=
 The
> > problems persist. Anyway, I am not extremely familiar with the inner-wo=
rkings
> > of the MP spec and APIC-based hardware, and am at a loss as to what is =
going
> > on. Unfortualtely, this board doesn't provide many PCI tweaking features
> > in the BIOS, like Slot-INTPIN assignments, IRQ-PIN assignment, etc...
> > BTW, this is running 4-stable, which I upgraded to from 4.5-R, to get t=
he
> > ATAPI and AMD768 support. 4.5-R experienced the bad behavior, though. I=
 have
> > the mptable, dmesg, and pciconf -l output if anyone could help me with =
this.

> > --
> > coleman

>=20