Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 20:07:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse" <jdw@wwwi.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

At 09:24 PM 10/15/96 -0500, Joe Greco wrote:
>Now my understanding is that -current work split off sometime around
>2.0.5R, which means that we have been through three releases of this
>same "-stable" branch.  There is, in my opinion, some good to that, but
>there is also an ever widening divergence of -current and -stable.

That divergance is exactly the problem I am trying to point out.
Already three "significant contributors" people have said that
-stable isn't worth the trouble.  However, stable is the only choice
for people who want a stable OS who don't have a lot of time to
invest in sanitizing their own private -current.

>So... I would rather see a 2.2R that was, perhaps, a bit rough at the
>edges (like 2.0R) sooner rather than later.

I agree.  If -stable has abandoned, it's time to look toward something
new.  Based on the assertions that several people have made that
"current is usually fairly stable," it seems like the benefits of
this might far outweigh the effort, or at least the possibility is
real enough to discuss.

Later,
Jeff