Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:36:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DEVFS and ms-dos partitions

Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Steve Kargl wrote:
>

> > d-------w-   1 root  493    arch 4096 Jan  1  1980 msdos/
> >
> > The source in src/sbin/mount_msdos has changed in a long time,
                                          not
> > so is this a side effect of using DEVFS?
>
> This is caused by the same bug that cause panics for exporting
> filesystems (things in mount structs moving around whenever the size
> of struct mtx changes).  struct msdosfs_args is particularly well
> designed to be affected by this bug even when nothing is exported:

[snip of struct]

> The fields after the export field become garbage when the size of the
> export field changes.  The garbage is easy to see using `ls -ld /msdos'.

Hmmm, thanks for the explanation.  That o+w permission is
a little worrisome.  I take it there's no way to force a
a different mode on the directory (short of never getting
world and kernel out-of-sync, which makes chasing the last
mutex bugs much more fun).

Mea culpa:  I know better.  It is a slice not a partition.
--
Steve