Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:58:54 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rel.current entity for www/en a la Handbook

--==_Exmh_2082599260P

If memory serves me right, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah) writes:

> > [ relnotes are branched ]
>
> Doh!  I still have a problem realizing that relnotes are branched.  Sorry :-/

No worries.  :-)

> 	<!ENTITY % relnotes.ents SYSTEM "path/to/relnotes-specific.ent">
> 	%relnotes.ents;
> 	<!ENTITY % global SYSTEM "path/to/global.ent"> %global;

So any entities that get multiply defined take on the first definition?
OK, that helps a lot.

> global.ent can define things like rel.current, os, and some of the
> other goodies I saw in your example.  It doesn't need to define things
> like release.type (or whatever the name was; value was "snapshot" or
> "release"), since the regular docs don't care.  But these are details
> which can be worked out later.

Right.  So I don't have any real strong feelings about the names of the
entities (one less bikeshed...).  I'll be happy to follow your lead on
this (just tell me where to look).  As long as I get all the entities I
need, it doesn't particularly matter what they are called (well, calling
the version string &fred; might be kind of odd, but you get the idea).

> The problem as I see it is that we don't just have doc/ and
> src/release: we have www/, too, which also needs rel.current et al
> (this thread was originally about www/, actually).  Having doc/
> doesn't imply having www/, and having www/ doesn't imply having doc/.
> And I can't think of a way to solve this one without replicating
> rel.current in, say, doc/share/sgml/global.ent and
> www/en/includes.sgml.  Ideas?  (I know this isn't strictly related to
> relnotes.)

Hmmmmm.  No ideas right now.  I was under the mistaken impression that
building www/ required doc/ (told you I didn't know much about the www
build).  At least if the entities are all named the same, people editing
the three different sets of files (doc/, www/, and src/release/doc/)
won't get too confused.  That's a win to me.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_2082599260P

--==_Exmh_2082599260P--