Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 11:25:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Richard Toren <rpt@sso.wdl.lmco.com>
Cc:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: caching DNS, question

On Sun, 18 May 1997, Richard Toren wrote:
>   What I want to do is install a local DNS (just upgraded from 2.1.5 to
> 2.2.1) that responds to local queries; bounces out to the ISP's DNS when
> needed; but retains a cache of recently used resolutions (say for 30
> minutes or so).

Set your name server up as a primary for your local domain.  This will
work even for a non-registered domain (but choose your name wisely)

As long as resolv.conf is correct and you have all of your client
systems point to this name server everything will work fine.

It won't really go to your ISPs DNS for non-local lookups, it will
go to the roots and from there to the correct name server for
whatever domain it is that you are looking up.  It will dial into
your ISP when it needs to go to the roots (obviously)

Caching is automatic and lasts considerably longer than 30 minutes
in most cases (determined by TTL of the data returned)

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com