Date:      Tue, 08 Jun 1999 23:12:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Subject:   Re: GNU patch gone stale

On 09-Jun-99 Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, W Gerald Hicks wrote:
>
>> > Our GNU patch has gone stale in the tree.  Anyone want to upgrade it to
>> > 2.5?
>> > If not, I'll do it myself eventually. Patch 2.1 which we have now is
>> > broken
>> > for certain diffs (recently tried with gimp 1.1.5-1.1.6 diffs), while 2.5
>> > works fine.
>>
>> The gimp patch situation offers a good example why having contrib'ified
>> things backed by a corresponding port can be a Good Thing.
>>
>> Naturally, using the updated version in ports/devel/patch is an easy
>> workaround until you get contrib updated.  (We've encountered this
>> here too)
>
> I can't remember why, but you darn well better not just update patch
> without seeing how it works with cvs.  It was discussed before in
> current, and there's a good reason why it's where it is.

From /usr/src/contrib/cvs/NEWS:

* The client no longer needs an external patch program (assuming both
the client and the server have been updated to the new version).

So it would seem that patch and cvs don't interact at all, unless it's a
question of patch 2.5 being able to apply diffs generated by cvs diff.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.freebsd.org