Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:34:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Clark Family <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        Alex Kwan <alexkwan@pacific.net.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to enable a user group run pppd?

FWIW

In the case of userland ppp, I think I put everyone I wanted to be able to
run ppp into the network group. And then added lines in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
to tell ppp what sections of the config file they were allowed to access.

In the case of pppd, it looks like it gid is wheel, and it is setuid
root. So members of the wheel group can run it.

*** Note, I WOULD NOT put people into the wheel group just to run pppd. I
would look at changing the gid associated with pppd and then put people
inot that group. ***

For example a group called "ppp" would be intuitive.

Please be aware, I have not done this with kernel ppp.

[RC]