Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:50:28 +0100
From:      Daniel Ebdrup Jensen <debdrup@FreeBSD.org>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Regarding AsciiDoctor and long lines

--mwhot36w7pvchck4

Hi folks,

Pursuant to a conversation that was had on #bsddocs on EFnet, this is
mostly me wondering if we can adopt a new standard practice.

Since the AsciiDoctor conversion, it's become evident that reading diffs
which exceed the usual 72 columns that FreeBSD has standardized on for
style(9) is less than great, especially as some of the sentences in the
documentation can be rather long.

So I would love if it we can agree to wrap/justify lines to 72 columns,
going forward whenever we touch files.

I've already started doing this on the handbook/x11 chapter update that
I'm working on, and it's in line with what we're used to from DocBook,
so I don't think it's too much of a big ask? :)

We also need to decide about it relatively soon, since the Weblate
project needs to know about about it, as it involves their use of .so
files (although the details somewhat escaped me when I read it after
staying up all night, so perhaps a domain expert can fill in the blanks
here?).

For reference, my testing had led me to believe that AsciiDoctor doesn't
care one bit how it's styled, as long as the actual markup is kept the
same.

I'm open to feedback about it, of course, but it seems like a very
sensible change to me.

Yours hopefully,
Daniel Ebdrup Jensen

--mwhot36w7pvchck4