Date:      Mon, 9 May 2011 19:52:19 +0300
From:      "Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
To:        "Robert Fitzpatrick" <robert@webtent.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel errors after upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2

> mx3# mergemaster -p
>
> *** Creating the temporary root environment in /var/tmp/temproot
>  *** /var/tmp/temproot ready for use
>  *** Creating and populating directory structure in=20
> /var/tmp/temproot
>
> cp: /usr/src/etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory
>
>   *** FATAL ERROR: Cannot copy files to the temproot environment
>
> So, I just need to get all the source and then rebuild as you=20
> mentioned?
>
> --Robert

Yes, grab the whole source tree - kernel upgrades by just compiling=20
the kernel itself are usually okay, if done within same release, when=20
upgrading, the userland needs to be built with the new kernel.

The correct process for upgrading from source is described in:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

-Reko=20