Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:57:59 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from Flash

hi,

About one year ago I made an installation image for 4Mb IDE flash disk.
It was almost clean picoBSD distribution with some hacks to loader
and additional utilities (like ssh and pccardd) added. It works as a watch
for year at about 10 PC based routers in different places of city
and mountains here :)

According to hardware it's mostly 486dx100 and Pentium 100, with 16Mb
RAM, 4Mb Flash and WaveLan card.

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 07:33:10PM -0400, Randall Hopper wrote:
> A guy I know bought a Compaq Ipaq IA1 for a song and wants to try FreeBSD
> on it (Linux has problems with the ethernet card).
>
> Basically it has a 16 MB flash sandisk (i.e. virtual IDE hard disk), 16MB
> of mem, but no floppy.  He can however yank the flash card, take it to a
> friends, and load it up via dd on a laptop.
>
> What is the best way to get FreeBSD up and running on this box?
> Is there a simple way to put a basic loader on the flash and then load
> everything (kernel, MFS root, etc.) via the ethernet?

Use PicoBSD.