Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:59:05 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestions for marketing, was Re: distfiles no longer on 4.0 CDs

>	If you're going to do this sort of thing, then you also need to
>make sure that you strip all the binaries, and in fact you should
>probably compress them all with gzip and make sure that the system
>can run gzip'ed executables directly (as I believe we do with the
>kernel image on the bootfloppy images).
>
>	Of course, this would probably slow the system down pretty
>dramatically, and would make debugging a real bitch if things didn't
>"just work" off the CDs.
>

>	Myself, I think I'd prefer to have more CDs and leave the binaries alone.

Hi!
Well, as the port collection grows, and have in mind that there is also the
power pak from WC, then what about following:

The FreeBSD distribution (perhaps from 5.0 Release on?) will consist of
following parts:

a) 2-CD set containing installation discs for x86 and Alpha architecture,
also containing sources, documentation and the most important software like
some windowmanager etc.
(Thats the part we already have for some time)

b)The Ports collection, perhaps sorted by some criteria, on several CD sets.
Criteria could be:
- Most frequently needed software (like todays ports collection on 2 CD)
- Category sorting (e.g. development (yes, some people need three different
versions of the JDK, each from 4 different companies), network, office use
under X11 etc.)

- printed documentation (manual, short step introduction for the impatient,
short reference table for the most important vi^H^H ee keystrokes etc...)

Those parts are meant to be sold separately, if desired.
For someone who needs to be on actual level for the most needed kernel
date, and some important networking stuff (like an ISP), it would be a good
thing to buy the first one separately.

Also, not everyone needs everything out of the ports...

So, for starters, the "classical way" would be ordering that starters kit,
consisting of the system CD, the (by then standard) ports collection, which
also could by then be 3 or 4 CD, and a printed manual, guiding through the
first installation steps.

For advanced users, there are the system CD, and some CDs of the ports
collection, sorted by areas of interest, but no manual...

In this scheme BSDI could be nicely integrated, as they could also sell
some of their products as part of the big construction kit.

Also, regarding advocacy, it is always an argument to say, that we don't
have "only 1" product, that, even if its conmpletely fulfilling that task,
ist "only" 1, and not that thousands fragmentaion of the name Linux, for
example. So filling the shelves is also important.

The price hurd could also be lowered for some, by simply allowing for cheap
system CDs to test, if it will fit.

In our times, it has become "in" to market and advocate some products as
members of a family, integrated suites, big toolboxes etc.
IMHO *BSD should take some of that road too, and be it even to only have
some comparable slogans to that of Redmont...

I already see that sign: Approved from the FreeBSD daemon for the FreeBSD
suite of production enhancement collection ;-)

No, to get serious, such a sign would stress _real compatibility_ out of
the box, wheras nearly every other UNIX, esp. Linux as a wannabe-UNIX lacks.
This could be a chance, to also stress BSDIs role as commercial backup with
value-added features. I also could imagine some commercial products like
firewalls or other network-managing systems, or X-servers like the
XIGraphics one, to be merketed in such an"officially approved" box.

Comments?

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)