Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:49:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Helge Oldach <ctm20040422@oldach.net>
To:        stephen@math.missouri.edu (Stephen Montgomery-Smith)
Cc:        ctm-users@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CTM broke - last available Delta was April 19, please fix ASAP

Stephen Montgomery-Smith:
> I think I found the problem with the ftp sites for the CTM deltas.  Recently was
> created a new xEmpty for cvs-cur.  It seems that rsync takes more than an hour
> to download this file, by which time a new rsync daemon starts.  The effect
> seems to be that the older rsync process simply stops (although it does not get
> killed), and the new rsync process starts all over again.
>
> A fix to this problem is to reduce the number of times that the rsync update
> takes place.  But really this seems to be a problem with rsync.  Any other
> suggestions?

Why do you start a new daemon at all? I am using rsync for copying
snapshots of running jails to another box, and never found the need to
restart rsyncd.

If you restart with

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/rsyncd.sh stop && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/rsyncd.sh start

the rc.subr script should hang until the first rsyncd has finished its
transfers.

Helge