Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:23:15 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012342996.a72e49@mired.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad disk partitioning policies (was: "Re: FreeBSD Intaller (was "Re: ... RedHat ...")")

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> types:
> At 10:31 PM -0800 2002/01/23, chip wrote:
> >  thing I did was give / 100 megs, then give /swap double whatever the ram is,
> >  and the rest goes to /usr.
> 	The issue of what is intelligent partitioning has been
> discussed previously on this list.  However, I believe that dumping
> everything in /usr is a really bad idea.  Among other things, you
> have no way of keeping a runaway program from eating up all available
> disk space and causing a serious DoS on the system.  With a separate
> /var partition, a runaway program is likely to only be able to fill
> that up, leaving the rest of the system okay.  You'd need to symlink
> /usr/tmp to /var/tmp, however.

So instead of causing a serious DoS by running /usr out of space, you
cause a serious DoS by running /var out of space. That will shut down
all the daemons that log to /var/log; anything trying to update things
in /var/db, which is most of the databases; mail and the printers will
quit working; and so on.

Unless you've got user home directories on /usr, it's relatively
static. Leaving /var on it just means you get that much more space to
run out of before things break. The same thing applies to /. So the
end result of leaving /, /usr and /var on one file system - so long as
users home directories aren't on it - is that /var has lots of free
space.

In practice, I typically split out /usr and back it up much less
frequently than / + /var, as / and /var have critical information on
them. If it's a sever without users, I put all the server data on
/var, with the binaries on /, and mount / read-only.

	<mike