Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 12:53:37 -0700
From:      s <shellis@fda.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A little Linux compatability exercise

To:
             FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG

Dear Folks,

Several weeks ago I tried to install a package called
xinvest-2.5.1.tgz.  What occurred was quite interesting, and the
resulting frustrations have only been out-matched by the interesting
learning experience. The reason I am interested in this little project
(it has now turned into a project) is that it gives me valuable
experience in adding Linux type packages.  This will probably become
more important to FreeBSD users as the library of Linux applications
expands.

I am using release 3.1 on 3 different systems; one is a Pentium 200, one
is an AMD 233, and the third is a 486 DX 66.  The first two systems have
64 MB of RAM and the third system has 48 MB of RAM.  All three systems
have at least seven gigabytes of disk.

I believe that the last appearance of the xinvest package is in the
packages for release 2.2.8.  I downloaded the package, and used the
package add function.  It installed smoothly on all three systems.  I
have also installed linux_lib-2.6, and later linux_lib-2.6.1. I also
re-compiled my kernel with "option Linux." Then the fun began.

1.) On the first system, when I typed in "Xinvest", I received the
following diagnostic:

ld-elf.so.1 failed: shared object "libXm.so.1" not found.

 I checked my directories to make sure that this was present in both
/usr/X11R6/lib and /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib, which was the case.

2.) On the second system, when I typed in "Xinvest", I received the
following diagnostic:

ld.so failed: can't find shared library "libXpm.so.4.11"

I checked my directories to make sure that this was present in both
/usr/X11R6/lib and /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib, which was the case,
as was the situation with the 486 DX 66.

3.) On the third system, I received the following diagnostic:

ld.so failed: can't find shared library "libXpm.so.4"

But the following exist...

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.11 and
usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.11

I made sure that the proper link was made between
libXpm.so.4.11 and libXpm.so.4 in both cases, as pointed out in the
handbook, section 23.1.
In all three cases, I made sure that xpm-4.3k was present.  The same for
lessiif.  In all cases, I made sure that the FreeBSD version of
libXm.so.1 was present in /usr/X11R6 and that the Linux version was
present in /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib, as prescribed in the
handbook, section 23.1.

The second system got even more interesting.  I re-generated xpm-4.3k
and xinvest came up perfectly.  If you left X-Windows, and re-entered,
Xinvest still came up.  However, if you re-booted, you were back with
the original diagnostic error. You could, however, re-generate xpm-4.3k,
and xinvest would come up and run perfectly again. This did not happen
on either of the other systems.  Finally, what intrigues me the most is
that one of the fellows in the office that I introduced to FreeBSD
downloaded and ran xinvest using release 2.2.8 without a hitch.  As far
as I know, he had the same libraries I have. I tried a last experiment.
I read the document "PATH HOWTO" in my quest on the Web for some
knowledge. I wrote a little script as follows:

csh
setenv PATH /sbin:/bin:/usr/libexec:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:
/usr/X11R6/lib:/sbin:/usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib
Xinvest

What happened here was also interesting; no warning errors would come up
as before, but neither would the program.

I also changed /root/.profile and /.profile to include the directories
mentioned.  Still, no positive results.

 A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and I am dangerous.  If at all
possible, please tell me what I am doing wrong.  Please  also, if
possible, please advise me what reading I can pick up so that I can
learn more on this subject.

Thanks for any help you can supply and for a great OS.
Steve Ellis