Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 01:38:08 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Subject:   /.: Microsoft Cites National Security to Justify Closed Source

Folks,

	Found this from
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/05/20/2124248&mode=thread&tid=109>:

MS Cites National Security to Justify Closed Source
Microsoft | Posted by timothy on Mon 20 May 10:34PM
from the so-bad-we-can't-display-it dept.

guacamolefoo writes: "It was recently reported in eWeek that "A
senior Microsoft Corp. executive told a federal court last week that
sharing information with competitors could damage national security
and even threaten the U.S. war effort in Afghanistan. He later
acknowledged that some Microsoft code was so flawed it could not be
safely disclosed." (Emphasis added.) The follow up from Microsoft is
even better: As a result of the flaws, Microsoft has asked the court
to allow a "national security" carve-out from the requirement that
any code or API's be made public. Microsoft has therefore taken the
position that their code is so bad that it must kept secret to keep
people from being killed by it. Windows - the Pinto of the 21st
century."

	The story that they were linking to is at
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D701%2526a%253D26875,00.asp>.

	Now, who else thinks that we should take this opportunity to file
charges of high treason against Bill Gates, Paul Allen, and other
senior members of Microsoft management, because through their actions
"very grave harm to national security interests" would result if the
source code were opened?

	Now, who else thinks that this is yet another ruse by Microsoft,
and that what we should really try to do is catch them in their
biggest and most blatent example of perjury, and catch them as they
majorly shit their pants and do the biggest and fastest volte-face
the world has ever seen, once the criminal charges are filed?

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>