Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:42:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>, ac14806t@st.nagaoka-ct.ac.jp, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Question] A `-h' flag for ls(1) in relnotes (RELENG_4)

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2002-06-01 09:36 -0700, Ross Lippert wrote:
> > >My intuition says that there are two ways to write this:
> > >	three or less
> > >	less than four
> > Hey if someone can show me documentation that supports this usage,
> > then I'll stop worrying about it, but for until that happens, I'll
> > think that fewer is what you should apply to whole numbers and
> > less only applies to continuous.
> >
> > three or fewer
> >
> > fewer than four
>
> I'll have to dig some English grammar books that have been rusting in
> bookshelves for ages. See, this is why I love this list... it makes
> things like these books, that keep aging slowly in my house, to be
> useful again!
>
> Seriously now, I don't know.  I'll have to check out a grammar/syntax
> book to make sure what the 'yours truly & pedantically anal-retentive'
> way of writing this is ;)

"fewer" refers to number, "less" to quantity.

fewer than four; less than a month until the next full moon.  Hamburger
costs less than steak, but....

The sign above the checkstand in a supermarket that says "10 items or
less" should say "10 items or fewer".  Such are the ways commerce
corrupts language, as in "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should."

There are some "close" calls where either fewer or less could be used.
The main error is to use "less" when "fewer" is correct.  There are a
whole bunch of errors of this type in FreeBSD docs.  I have always
ignored them.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC