Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:44:56 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

[Moved to -chat, where it rightly belong]
On Wed, Mar 04, 1998 at 02:07:29PM +0000, John Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Mar 1998 05:45:23 -0800, "Jordan K. Hubbard"
> <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
> >> With a pool of $500,000 to spend, neither Jordan nor core should be
> >> deciding what gets funded.  Funding decisions should be controlled by
> >> the donors themselves, collectively.  And voting is the only way to do
> >> that.
> >
> >This is a complete waste of time.  I've already told you - if you have
> >a problem with the way funding is allocated then simply don't donate
> >funds, it's very simple.  Can we get back to work now?
>
> Keeping my money is one of the easiest things I can do.
>
> If you can't see the value of meaningful donor incentives, someone
> else will.

The FreeBSD Project doesn't need more administrative problems.
Letting donors control the project is a definite administrative
headache - FreeBSD want to go technically forward, and most people
associated with the project trust core to generally do good decisions.
I have no problem with trusting them with a donation of $100 (or
$100,000 - had I had them) - and if people have that problem, then
donate to a specific part of the project _by doing the work_, or by
directly funding somebody to do the work (possibly by getting several
people/organizations to chip in on it).

Eivind.