Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 22:47:58 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@daemon.tisys.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The road ahead?

Robert Clark wrote:
[ ... the "myth" of the "paperless" office ... ]

> If I recycled the unncessary paper in my office, it would be almost paperless.
> When you get paid to push buttons, paper is a waste of time.

An anecdote, FWIW...

After almost 22 years since someone first paid me to bang on
a computer keyboard, I have bought my first printer.

I use it to print driving directions, and to create things
like non-disclosure agreements, invoices, and purchase
orders.

Mostly, it's for driving directions.

> Will computers become so common that only the lower classes have anything
> to do with them?
>
> Will the offshore coding hordes tire of piecemeal work and turn their
> sights on knocking humpty off the wall?

Only if they become much, much better at coding, and establish
strong intellectual property laws... English speakers also seem
to have the edge when it comes to the science of C.S..

-- Terry