Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:19:56 +0000
From:      BOFH <BOFH@prolynx.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing on COMPAQ 1850/5000 with SMART2/2E

General question:

After searching the FAQ's, HOWTO's, -scsi, -tech, -questions mail
archives and finding http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~md/ida/ and
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ida/ I am still left
with the problem:

How do I (successfully) create a bootable kernel that supports the
Compaq SMART2 RAID controller well enough to perform a new install?

I've seen plenty of references to _having_ done this, with no particular
pointers on _how_ to do this.

I have tried several different variants of making the ida devices build,
but unfortunately I'm in a bit of a Cache-22 in that I can't get a
native implementation of the device files until I can get one of the
Compaq's up and running.

The kernels I've managed to build so far boot, see the NIC and FDD, but
are still lost on the SCSI-RAID.

I am using FreeBSD v3.4-STABLE on a DELL 2300, with the standard
development options installed (gcc, perl, etc.).

Any help in either creating this or pointers to the correct
documentation will be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Ed