Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:25:42 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Hardware List" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Best behaved  drives for FreeBSD?

Can someone explain to me the technical advantages of tying all the
ground lines together at the cable connectors ("40 pin compatibility")
but breaking them off seperately for the rest of the cable ("80 wire
cable")?

It strikes me that if you're doing ground isolation to keep noise at bay
that tying the grounds together anywhere along the cable run would
defeat the purpose.

To me this makes no sense, but I'm not an eletrical engineer, either.