Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:18:47 -0800
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Next release should be called 5.0 (was:4.4 BSD forever?)

Nothing like resurrecting a week-dead thread, huh?

I thought that I had picked up somewhere that Berkeley's agreement with
USL didn't allow major releases without renegotiating the license, but
patches were considered to be OK, so the 4.x releases were all deemed
to be "patches" to 4BSD.  Perhaps this is a BSD urban legend?

  Bill