Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:59:43 +0200
From:      "Fischer, Oliver" <plexus@snafu.de>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>, Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd test matrix

Mike Hoskins wrote:
> I've been tracking progress of this thread, and posting general
> conclusions/decissions here:  http://bsd.adept.org

God that you have written a summery of this topic. I think it is the
time for it.

Here are my thoughts on this project:

o If I am not mistaken, I see can see 2 steps:
      1. Creating a small x86 build results database
         and setting it up. Posting of the results should
         be easy. May be via mail or web. Better both.
      2. Developing an more well-elaborated testing system
         as the second step. I will call this system SYSTEM II.

   I think this is a god start.

[Next points are related to the 2. step...]

o The schema behind SYSTEM II must be very flexibel enough
   to handle different kinds of test on different plattforms.

o The result database and the report of the test results to
   central repository should be independend of the test
   framework. It should be possible to change the test suite
   or to implement tests with different testsuites.

o Do we need our own framework for it?

o Such a project needs volunteers?

o Such a project needs documentation!

o Such a project needs a home for its resources?
   (SourceForge, own, FreeBSD?)

o What should be tested? Does it make sense to test
   the stuff in src/contributed?

o What kind of test do we have? functional tests?
   lasttests? (does some one know the correct english term
   for this german word?) tests for standard specifications?

o Should we / How to integrated hardware dependend tests like
   fs performance? My notebook will report different results
   than my PC.

o We need a good name!

OK, thats all.

BYe

Oliver

--
Oliver Fischer - plexus[AT]snafu[DOT]de
[de] Das Internet stammt aus dem letzten Jahrtausend!