Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 22:35:24 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>, "Salvo Bartolotta" <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Use of the UNIX Trademark

Let me throw a comment into the mix on this patenting issue.

One thing people forget about patents is that they create a permanent record
of a process or device.  While the most spectacular patents (new drugs, etc.)
get plenty of attention in various medical journals and such, the majority of
patents
are granted for small little things, for example a hand tool.  These new
inventions generally never see wide distribution and if there wasn't ever a
patent on them, the invention might disappear forever.  With a patent, someone
20 or 30 years later that needs a particular thing can do a patent search and
see
if anyone has ever manufactured an invention that solves what they need to do,
and if they find an expired patent on an invention they can use the contact
info
to perhaps dig up a set of plans for it.

To give you an idea of what I mean, years ago my father worked for a power
switching company that needed to supply a customer with an actuator that
moved a large mechanical switch.  The only problem was that where this was
to be installed was out in the boondocks - no electricity.  The company of
course
had no actuators that didn't run off electric power.  So, in the head
scratching
process of trying to figure out how to answer this, someone happened to look
up
old actuator patents and ran across one that ran off of compressed air.  The
patent had of course long since expired but there was enough of a description
of how it worked to give them a general idea of what the inventor had been
getting at, so they built an actuator that used a cylinder of compressed
oxygen
(such cylinders are commonly used in welding) that could supply the actuator
with mechanical power for a couple hundred cycles.  Since the thing actuated
perhaps once or twice a year it was a great solution and the customer ended up
buying about 50 of the things.