Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 01:30:31 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de (Robert Schien)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which graphics board should I buy?

Robert Schien stands accused of saying:
> Currently I have the VLB version of miro chrystal,
> which works quite fine.
> What is a fast, reliable and not too expensive (let's say
> up to $250) board that works fine under XFree86?

Anything with an S3 chip and preferably at least 2M of memory.

For $115 Australian (about US$80) I can get a "Data Expert" S3-868 PCI card,
which works _very_ well, and is no slouch at all.  Other chips to look
for are the 764 (ok), 732 (not so good), 864 (good but outdated), and
anything beginning with 9 (928, 964, 968).  The '9' chips use VRAM rather
than DRAM, and thus cards using them are more expensive.

You can spend more money and go for a Diamond or Number Nine card, but
their low-end models aren't any better or worse.  They _do_ have high-end
hardware that is _much_ nicer.  If you plan to run any version of Windows,
however, then buy a Diamond or #9 card - their drivers are definitely worth
the extra cash.

Whatever you do, do _not_ buy a card based on the Trident or Tseng chipsets,
and avoid the Cirrus "alpine" chips (Orchid cards) unless you're really
desperate.

> Robert

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[