Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 13:38:25 -0400
From:      C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3COM network cards..

BG> I'm looking to find a good card to use on a router with a CSU/DSU
BG> unit (freeBSD router), any suggestions?  Is the 3Com 590-COMBO?
BG> TPO?

I just installed a FreeBSD-based firewall bastion host using 3Com
cards. In the first setup, I had a 3c590 and 3c595. The 3c590
interface kept having problems and filled up buffers after about 1700
or so bytes attempted to be sent through it. I'd need to bring the
interface down and back up to clear the queue and restore buffer
space. (Didn't have any software misconfigurations like messed up MTUs
or anything...I did check :-)

The 3c595 never had this problem. We swapped the 595 and 590, and the
problem continued on the 590's interface. Got rid of the 590 and used
a second 595, and it's been rock solid since.

Very strange. I know very little about PC hardware (used to Sun, IBM
RS/6000, and SGI hardware), so I'm not sure exactly what might have
been going on below the OS...

--
C Matthew Curtin        MEGASOFT, LLC        Director, Security Architecture
I speak only for myself.  Don't whine to anyone but me about anything I say.