Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 23:36:11 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't get logged in with xdm

My .xsession-errors says:

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xmodmap:  unable to open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
BaseDisplay::BaseDisplay: connection to X server failed.

If I try to log in as root I get instead:

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: :0

This is 4.0 Release, freshly installed from the CD, with XFree86-3.3.6,
likewise freshly installed from the CD.  The xdm configuration is
identical to what I've been using on 3.4-stable (and previous) for years,
and worked on 4.0-current (before the release) and now on 4-stable on an
Alpha.  The failing machine is a Pentium 233 with a Permedia AGP video
board.

startx works fine for both myself and root, so it's something with xdm.

I've done quite a bit of searching and haven't found a clue.  Can anyone
suggest *which* FM to RTFM?

Thanks.