Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 02:37:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read this...

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:
> 3) I don't know anyone who wants to sell his/her old sparc. So it's
> easier to buy a new one than and old sparc (ridicolous, but it's the
> situation...)

Look, you can't hardly go outdoors these days without being hit in the
head by falling Sparcstations.

They're that available.

If you can't pick up a Sparc2 with at least a few megs of RAM for $50 then
you're living next door to elves or some other obscure hole in the wall.

> 4) If Sun will give us some form of "support" I will develop on Ultra.
> Otherwise I will reconsider the "old sparc"....

Oh jesus.  Give me a break.

> _Personally_ I think Sun could give us the new architecture for the
> "old sparc" price. I don't pretend to have hardware for free, but for a
> good price. From their point of view they make a good investment :they
> have a new developer working on Ultra/FreeBSD. From my point of view
> it's a good investment 'cause I can develop on something new (and use
> the new istruction set sparc V9 )

Lets see.  When the SS2 was introduced, a new system ran in the low teens.
My SLC was priced around $5k and you don't even want to know what my 4/330
was when it was 'new'.

Current Sun prices are -great- compared to the old hardware.

Anyhow, I need to go back downstairs and drink some more or something
because I'm not normally this sensitive to the sort of rubbish you posted.

Have a good one.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |