Date:      Mon, 01 Jan 2001 20:21:27 -0500
From:      David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the abi

>>>>> "David O'Brien" writes:

David> Looking at this today, I'm choosing #3 - the EABI, unless someone knows
David> that it will be very hard to run using this EABI on the Mac G4.  Reading
David> the EABI spec, I believe this to be the best choice since the real target
David> of FreeBSD/PowerPC isn't to complete with Darwin on G4's, but for embedded
David> applications.  The Mac G4 just makes a damn nice development platform for
David> your embedded development work.

	FreeBSD/PowerPC should use System V Release 4 PowerPC ABI.
PowerPC Linux uses it.  BSDI/powerpc uses it.  There is no reason to be
different.  Using PowerPC eABI is subtly different than SVR4/ELF PowerPC
and unecessarily constrainted.

	FreeBSD/PowerPC is a great development platofmr for embedded
systems.  That is exactly the point: it is the host, not the target.  One
should be able to run eABI applications created by a cross-compiler, but
using eABI will just subtly hurt the FreeBSD/PowerPC port because of the
stricter alignment requirements making the host OS run slower on
non-embedded PowerPC processors than necessary.  PowerPC-based Macs, IBM
POP boards, and RS/6000 systems do not use embedded PowerPC processors.

David