Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wanted: transparent HTTP proxy, capable of mapping domains to ports (or the evergoing quest for suid execution of PHP scripts)

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> emulate the functionality of perchild. Basically, the idea is to run
> distinct Apache instance for every domain on some arbritrary port
> (say 2000+) and then have a transparent proxy on port 80 redirect
> the requests to the correct port. I.e. something like:

  Squid can do this.  It supports a reverse HTTP proxy mode, where it can
take requests on a single IP, and translate named based requests to IP
based requests.  Typically what you do in this situation, is use internal
IPs for the actual sites and single external IP for Squid.  Quite often
people run Squid on a different machine.  Squid is very configurable in
regards to caching.  In a reverse HTTP cache, it makes the most sense to
disable the disk cache, and just use RAM.  Squid does not fork, so it
serves requests pretty quickly.

Tom