Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 10:15:49 +0000
From:      Dave Swegen <dswegen@allstor-sw.com>
To:        Andrew Hannam <famzon@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving from 3.0 to 4.1

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 10:02:22AM +1000, Andrew Hannam wrote:
> I think that the 3.0 wd devices and the new 4.X ad devices use the same
> major and minor numbers - try creating both sets of devices and each version
> of the OS should use the ones it thinks it needs to use.
> I use this scheme to boot one hard-drive with both a 3.4 and a 4.1 kernel
> (although there were a few more tricky things further on in the boot process
> for this one).

Thanks for the reply. So if I understand you correctly you have managed
to boot a 4.x system using a 3.x kernel?

The problem I encountered was that after the installing, the next boot
the system would detect the ad devices, yet still try and boot / from
the wd devices.

Do you know exactly what it is that determines where to boot root from?

Again, any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers
	Dave