Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:22:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        dhw@whistle.com, fewtch@serv.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies - "Handle me with care?"

>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:25:39 -0700
>From: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>

>Sure, but a newbie won't likely be doing anything terribly important with
>their system and won't likely be installing BSD for others who need solid
>systems... so why be methodical?

I believe your assumption is incorrect in at least some cases.  I
consider myself a "newbie" to FreeBSD, yet I have done UNIX sysadmin
work since '86, and I've been doing sysadmin-like tasks (it was called
"systems programming") since '69.  Except for a year working in an
environment where the UNIX systems we had were mostly BSDI boxen, I've
not had the dubious pleasure of dealing with the PC world at all.
(Well, except for maybe half a dozen abortive attempts to get something
useful out of a Microsoft environment.  I gave up on that, as being a
fundamentally flawed approach.)

I am currently working as a sysaadmin in a (mostly) FreeBSD environment.

Further, I believe you're missing a point:  you refer to "their system"
-- note singular.  In my case, I have a couple of machines on my desk,
the functions of which were migrated to other machines.  Thus, until I
need to deploy these (extra) boxes, I can install FreeBSD on them in
different ways... without breaking anything of importance.  (All it
requires is that I spend my time....)

Lastly, a reason to "be methodical" is to avoid repeating the same
mistakes.  If you're not methodical, you have no way to know whether or
not you're repeating yoruself.  (Then again, when a fellow in the dorm
room next to mine in college put up the "An unexamined life in not worth
living" quote on his door, my response was "How could he have known?")

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621